6.25.2011

The Beginning

I am Pale.


Not Powder Pale, but definitely "Hey, you're pretty white" Pale. This is less by decision and more by design: my Danish/Irish skin literally repels melanin. During summers in Middle School I was sometimes found laying on a beach towel in my driveway slathered in Hawaiian Tropic and listening to Ace of Base. Most times, I would come away a sweaty, sticky mess with a highly uneven mini-burn. Often, I would get too hot or bored and go inside for a Pepsi One and a healthy dose of A/C (not D/C; I was nothing if not hopelessly uncool). It took a few years, but I finally figured out how to embrace the Pale.

Nowadays, I scroll through beauty blogs and am inundated with a veritable kaleidoscope of shimmers, pigments, finishes, hues, formulas, and ingredients. I get excited about the color swatches and that excitement turns to disappointment when I realize that the skin in the picture does not represent my own. Not by a Long Shot.

In my line of work, I see countless who like color, but are terrified by it or don't know what works or how to put it into practice.

I intend this blog to shine light on the Pale Lifestyle. How we maintain our complexions. How we can wear black without looking like a member of a Death Metal Band. And can we ever pull off the color Yellow?

No comments:

Post a Comment