1.01.2012

Things That Shouldn't Work But Do: Boots Edition

Everything goes with black. I used to think that, if most of my basic pieces were black, that my shoes and purses had to be, too.

Man, is that wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, I love black. I just don't always love it head-to-toe. Especially on a Pale person, all black can look a bit goth, which is fine if that's your aim. I just feel that, for the most part, black boots are rather Hard Rock.

You can wear brown boots with a black outfit. It is actually very attractive as the brown helps to break up and soften the harshness that black can impart. Check it out:




She's wearing 3 neutrals: black, gray, and brown. The scarf adds softness in the form of a silver gray knit. The boots are a slightly slouchy suede that contrasts with the stark monochromatic aspect of her tights, dress, and gloves.


Pippa Middleton wearing a coat that I suspect is Burberry and a satchel I believe is Mulberry


Here, Pippa Middleton shows the same principle. She has used a silk scarf and suede boots to soften the structure of her coat and bag. She looks both glamorous and like the girl next door.



Pippa Middleton and Kate, pre- Duchess of Cambridge


Goddess Kate here wears structured riding boots with a cinch belt and softens the outfit with a flowy top and velvet blazer.


Half the battle when it comes to fashion is BALANCE. When you understand how to balance the clothes on our body, you can get away with a multitude of 'sins' (like mixing black and brown par example).



Rachel Bilson




Anne Hathaway



Me



No comments:

Post a Comment