7.22.2011

Things That Shouldn't Work, But Do

Of all the beauty website and blog owners on the internets, Janice from Specktra.net is pretty much the authority when it comes to MAC. So when she insisted the orangey-tanny-colored 'Saffron' eyeshadow from MAC's Surf Baby! collection would work on me, I listened.




I'll admit I was scared. And to scare me away from color is no mean feat, but this just looked so...orange. And I love orange, I have just never entertained the thought of putting it on my eyes outside of October 31st.

Opening the pan, I was immediately transported back to the time David Hasselhoff (I KNOW) left smears of fake tanner all over my white seats when I was working as a tour guide in Hawaii. Not a necessarily unpleasant experience, but I don't think one needs to associate The Hoff with one's eye shadow.

It actually turned out rather well:






It is...not horrifying. In fact, it is rather flattering. In the pan this shade just looks odd to me but on my skin it does actually enhance the color of my eyes (just as Janice said it would).

Saffron is a Satin, which means that it blends and applies very smoothly and has a slight sheen to its finish (like flat paint versus eggshell). 

I blended Saffron with Lancome's Honeymoon (a pale cream-colored shimmer), made a baby cat-eye with Lancome's Le Crayon Khol in Black Ebony, and finished with Lancome's Virtuose Black Carat Mascara. Brows filled in with Anastasia's Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde.

3 comments:

  1. Verrry nice! I have some shadow about that color too, and it is great on my pale skin. Seems like most brights, as long as they're in your color palette, can brighten up pale skin, even if it's not a color you'd typically wear on your eyes. Of course, I draw the exception at daffodil yellow, which is good in clothing but in eye shadow would give a freakish jaundiced look, I think!

    ReplyDelete